The Double-Pepper Curry Bomb: A supplement stack in your spice rack

A fat burning stack that is already in your home:

A while ago I ran my Supplements already in your Kitchen article in which I described how to use food-stuffs to achieve supplement like effects. It was incredibly well-recieved relative to some of my other articles, so I decided to do a follow-up.

In your spice rack over there, there is a combination which beneficially affects fat metabolism and tastes pretty good.

The compounds of interest are:

Black Pepper Extract = Piperine

Red Pepper Extract (Hotter the better) = Capsaicinoids (Interestingly; hot sauces like Sriracha or Frank’s Red Hot also work)

Curry and/or Turmeric = Curcumin

The dosage of each of these is ‘More is better’ (incredibly hard to overdose on these particular spices). Reasoning is as follows:

Capsaicinoids: Active ingredient

Capsaicinoids (most common one is Capsaicin) are known as red pepper extract. Their content in food can be assessed by how spicy the food is (more capsaicinoids meaning more face burning and mouth numbing).

They have been used as fat burning agents as capsaicinoids increase adrenaline levels, and induce beta-adrenergic agonism similar to ephedrine (although not as potent). Interestingly, it also seems to partition more substrate utilization towards body fat rather than glucose storage. (Thus it might exert a muscle protective effect by lowering glucose demands assuming metabolic rate is kept the same, but it also increases the metabolic rate so that theory is a wash).

So basically, its a spice that can increase amount of calories burnt passively via heat. Its not as effective as ephedrine in this manner, but ephedrine would be pretty nasty to grind up on your food as a spice.

Curcumin: Beta-agonism potentiator

The combination of curcumin and capsaicinoids plays on the known synergism of ephedrine and Aspirin. When coadministered, Aspirin (a cyclooxygenase inhibiting compound) inhibits prostaglandin synthesis and thus delays feedback mechanisms induced by beta-adrenergic agonism.

Curcumin shares this COX inhibition ability along with some other phenolic compounds, and the DHA component of fish oil. Curcumin also affects lipoxygenase.

Both compounds (Curcumin and Aspirin) although different, share the same rough ultimate effect on prostaglandins. They differ slightly in mechanisms and pharmacology, but Aspirin is not a spice.

Piperine: Needed for curcumin absorption

The sole reason black pepper is added is due to curcumin absorption. The first two compounds are only good if they actually get to the fat cells to work. Capsaicin has a pretty nice uptake in the gut; curcumin has a decent uptake in the gut but is absolutely devoured by the liver in a process called glucuronidation. (Tagging compounds with glucuronides changes their structure and signals for them to be excreted via urination; its a toxin defense mechanism that sadly gets some beneficial compounds as well)

Supplementing piperine with curcumin, via piperine’s inhibiting effects on glucuronidation, increase bioavailability by 2000%. A number so pretty I’m surprised it wasn’t made up.

In Summation

Using the Double-Pepper Curry Bomb will result in an increase in metabolic rate as well as being healthy. It won’t be anything magical in its efficacy (won’t shed 20lbs in 20 days) but it will beneficially tip the scales in the direction of more fat loss. It also tastes like a nice spicy Indian dish.

Connect with Facebook

Comments

1. Bythog says:

And here is another time I will mention kimchi as a food everyone should eat. Not only is it good for digestion but the spice in it will make you burn body fat, too!

2. pauleyphonic says:

Wikipedia suggests that dissolving in warm oil aids in bioavailability.

3. Andreias says:

Great article.

While this concoction has little calories, there still are some. Would you recommend to use it in the morning while on cheatmode, or is there a danger of breaking the fast?

• Silverhydra says:

Its meant to spice food, would taste really weird in a shot glass or what not.

It wouldn’t break the fast at all (very little calories unless you use, like, a tablespoon of each), but it never occurred to me that this can be taken fasted.

• Andreias says:

Perhaps I am taking your “fuck moderation” statement a bit too far :)
        I am thinking to use those spices in my (first) morning coffee, but I haven’t tried it yet. Will let you know how it goes.

Thank you.

4. Kwirq says:

This may be a dumb question, but are black pepper extract and red pepper extract the same thing as ground black pepper and red pepper flakes? If not, where would I buy the extracts, as they weren’t in the spices section at my supermarket.

Thanks!

5. hggh says:

re: ‘muscle protective effect’

Will this affect your muscle gains?:
    “Curcumin is the principal curcuminoid of the popular Indian spice turmeric
    [en.wikipedia.org] seems to be a powerful inhibitor of
    mTOR [2]. See my recent post:
    [www.crsociety.org]
    I have consumed curcumin almost daily as a spice, initially as a supplement
    in a capsule, at the rate of 1-2 teaspoons in a vegetable and salmon curry
    dish, without rice but barley, spelt, oats and buckwheat instead.
    Intestinal absorption is a major problem with turmeric/curcumin. It *must*
    be consumed with fat, preferably monounsaturated olive of macnut oil, fish
    oil and/or fatty fish – otherwise no curcumin will be found in circulating
    blood or in tissues. The source shall be as reliable as possible, organic,
    because there is still contaminated turmeric/curcumin on the market.
    Highly concentrated consumption of turmeric root extract/curcumin from
    capsules or tablets may cause very uneven distribution in the GI tract and
    irritation; it may cause constipation in fairly high doses. Therefore I feel
    it is preferable to do as the Indian do and consume it regularly/daily as a
    spice in food and make sure to use enough of it – like Indians.
    I even put a small amount of turmeric in my breakfast cereal along with
    cinnamon, ginger, and all the fruits and grapes and berries.
    Curcumin is an instantly available and (probably) effective dietary
    mTOR inhibitor. I attribute some of my (very) good health to the addition of
    daily turmeric/curcumin to my phytochemical – “phytonutrient” – cocktail
    over a year ago. ” http://arc.crsociety.org/read.php?2,197948,197959#msg-197959

• Silverhydra says:

It is possible, but I am not sure the significance thereof.

There are many, many dietary factors and exercise factors that either beneficially affect or negatively affect mTOR, and they seem to be focused around the paradigm of veggies and fruits as mTOR inhibitors and meats/eggs as mTOR agonists.

Given the wide range of health benefits, I don’t think that one need to avoid curcumin; however, I can’t dance around the issue that it may not be the best compound for maximal protein synthesis.